Tax Office – officially HM Revenue and Customs

This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

The Tax Office is a colloquial (slang) term used to describe the branch of the government dedicated to the collection of taxation in the UK.

Historically, this was mainly in reference to Inland Revenue – however, since this organisation was dissolved in 2005, the ‘Tax Office’ is generally thought of being HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), although HMRC is never officially referred to as the Tax Office.

Though HMRC are responsible for the central collection of levies, the government does has a number of local tax offices based around the UK that each have a certain specialised subject area, as well as dealing with issues from taxpayers in the regions nearby. The two biggest examples of local tax offices are the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) contributions branch in Liverpool and the Self-Assessment Complaints team in Cardiff.

Despite being considered as the Tax Office, HMRC in charge of a whole host of things away from taxes, including some benefits payment and the national minimum wage initiative. The main tolls that HMRC offices are responsible for the collection of are income tax, value-added tax (VAT) and corporation tax – though they are also in charge of National Insurance contributions, among other things.

However, despite HMRC being the main government office in charge of duty collection, many taxes are collected by regional governments – with council tax and charges for on-street parking not being dealt with by HMRC, but by local councils.